The goals for an effective service desk are, therefore, to restore service as quickly as possible and ensure permanent fixes are developed for recurring incidents.
Many organizations struggle to leverage prior experience and organizational knowledge across their Service Desk staff and with their Level 2 and Level 3 support teams. As a result, service desk technicians frequently end up “re-solving” the same issues, which leads to longer resolution times and inconsistent service based on each technician’s personal knowledge. It also often means Level 2 and even Level 3 resources get pulled into incident resolution unnecessarily, taking them away from proactive IT service delivery work.
For more complex incidents, it’s well known that 80% of the time to restore service is spent finding out what went wrong and only 20% of the time is spent actually fixing it. This is also why problem backlogs tend to grow faster than teams can work them down.
ITinvolve provides all the standard incident and problem management capabilities you expect, including:
- Incident and problem logging, categorization, and prioritization
- Incident SLA tracking and escalation management
- Configuration Item association for both problems and incidents
- Documentation of resolutions and fixes
ITinvolve goes beyond these basic capabilities to:
- Proactively arm service desk technicians, senior staff, and problem team members with all relevant knowledge and workarounds (both systems-based and tribal) in the context of the elements affected
- Identify and engage all relevant experts including those that may be unknown to support team members
- Provide powerful, visual analysis of upstream and downstream dependencies to aid in faster root-cause analysis
- Ensure teams take compliance policies into account when developing workarounds and fixes
- Capture learning from incident resolution, dramatically reducing the time and effort to develop and promote new knowledge
- Faster issue resolution by leveraging existing knowledge
- Avoidance of escalations for recurring issues with known fixes and workarounds
- Resolve complex issues and develop permanent fixes faster by identifying likely root-causes more quickly
- Eliminate all hands of deck firefighting and under/over-subscribed problem teams by engaging only the right experts
- Improved business leader and user satisfaction through improved service delivery