Cloud Computing Migrations
IT financial managers and CIOs want to take advantage of the cloud, whether public or private, for a lower cost operating model. However, the information you have about existing system configurations and dependencies isn’t well captured or entirely current so migration projects take longer than desired and have a lot of risk.
Public, private, and hybrid cloud environments have tremendous potential for improving time to market and reducing IT operational costs, but as with any significant new technology there are risks in migrating from the current way of doing things.
- Your business expects any migration of services to the cloud will be transparent to users with no degradation in performance or reliability. Not having a full understanding of configurations and dependencies can cause unexpected bumps in the road whether you are migrating to a public cloud provider or using your own private cloud.
- Developing in a cloud-based IaaS or PaaS environment sounds great to development leaders and business executives who want faster time to market, but it brings significant challenges when that cloud-developed application must be deployed on your internal infrastructure for production. How do you ensure that deployment goes smoothly and takes into account all of the regulations and policies you are required to meet in production?
- Nothing in IT is truly “green field”. While a cloud-developed app may be brand new, the legacy applications and infrastructure it must integrate with aren’t.
Understanding your current configurations and dependencies is critical to mitigating risks and meeting aggressive deadlines for cloud migration projects. And modeling cloud configurations and dependencies, while capturing the tribal knowledge your teams are building around them, is critical to successfully managing the transition from and to the cloud.
- Easily create dependency models with the information you already have
- Validate dependency mappings so they are trusted
- Capture tribal knowledge so they are accurate and complete
- Provide shared perspective and personalized views